What Is Fractional CO2 Laser and How Does It Work?
When sun damage and harmful effects of air pollution are combined with the normal aging process, collagen degradation is accelerated, defects and problems become apparent on our skins. Wrinkles become observable as the amount of collagen in the skin decreases. Fractional CO2 lasers open microscopic columns in the skin, unlike conventional lasers used in skin rejuvenation, which affect the entire surface of the skin. These columns consist of very thin channels. Fractional CO2 lasers with high water absorption inflict selective thermal damage on water-containing structures in the target tissue, such as collagen, blood vessels, keratinocytes. This way, the living cells in the undamaged area immediately next to the area with thermal damage, stimulate the repair mechanism of the damaged area by migration. Thus, neo-collagen production is triggered and started beneath the skin. The most important feature of the new generation fractional lasers is that they show their effect beneath the skin without damaging the epidermal surface. Healing is much faster on the surface of the skin, and individuals return to their social lives in a short amount of time
The depth of descent in the treated area is known precisely during fractional CO2 laser applications. Although it uses high energy, its recovery time is short after application due to its fractional feature. As its 10,600nm wavelength is longer than other lasers, it penetrates deeper into the dermis and its effect is much higher.
Fractional CO2 Laser Indications:
- Skin resurfacing
- Skin rejuvenation
- Acne marks and scars (hypertrophic and keloid)
- Sun and age spots
- Postpartum hyperpigmentation spots
- Treatment of wart and condyloma
- Treatments of some skin cancers
- Treatment of some congenital or later-formed moles
- Gynecology applications
- ENT Applications
- Surgical applications
How many sessions are required for Fractional CO2 Laser treatments?
It varies according to the type of treatment.
- Skin resurfacing, rejuvenation and tightening of pores take approximately 2-3 sessions. Session intervals are 4-6 weeks.
- Acne marks and scars take approximately 3-5 sessions. Session intervals are 4-6 weeks.
- Sun and age spots take 1-2 sessions. Session intervals are 4-6 weeks
- Various pigmentation problems take 1-2 sessions.
- Xanthelasma takes 1 session.
- Treatment of wart and condyloma takes 1 session.